two thousand eighteen!
my “word” for this year is - t i m e -
i want to focus on better using each precious day that i have in my beautiful life. here’s some simple lifestyle tweaks i am hoping to make to encourage this:
- put my phone away in my nightstand at 10pm each night
- use my screen-time tracking app to limit time spent on my phone (i have a specific time limit)
- use a paper planner to plan out each day the night before, hour by hour (while of course still embracing some flexibility and serendipity ;) ) and write down my short-term goals
- have amazing mornings - to me this is defined by having the following completed before 9am: prayer, scripture study, exercise and shower/grooming
(i also want to aim to be out of the house on an adventure with moses by 9am most mornings)
- make a meal plan every sunday afternoon (ian and i have set aside 2-3pm as a time when we can each do some personal planning/organizing while moses naps after church)
- ask myself this question at least five times a day: “is what i’m doing right now truly productive and the best use of my time?”
- fill any possible “empty space” time with enriching my mind:
>>read at least ten books this year
>>listen to podcasts when multitasking is ideal (cleaning, cooking, etc.)
>>learn more about photography (i have this great book my brother gave me a few years ago that i haven’t cracked, and i want to find an online course!)
- improve my physical health (which i’ve found to be so, so linked to productivity!) by recommitting to: (1) only eating sweets on holidays; (2) challenging myself more in exercise; and (3) being diligent in my skincare routine
- give more time - always be prepared with an answer to our nightly question: “what did you do today for others?”
- immediately kick any time spent comparing in the butt and get on to something more productive
- take more video clips (every anniversary i gift ian a little video with images and clips from the year, and i’m always wishing i had more live-action material … and i think taking more video will help me to relish and appreciate time more)
- each night, while falling asleep, meditate and visualize (i am such a believer in the power of our minds, if we will but exercise them!)
- see each day as a precious new start
when i look at that list, it seems like a lot! but it’s really just tiny things that i believe will make a big difference. i'm easing into my resolutions, determined that gradually is the way to truly evolve into something better.
with that said … these two posts i saw on instagram really spoke to me - just sayin’ ...
i’ll do my best ;)
what do you do to encourage better use of time in your own life! i’d love any suggestions for additions to my list (as long as they are relatively tiny things! ;) )
happy new year! 2018 is going to be an epic one.