happy holy week!



i remember in middle school overhearing a girl talking about me behind my back (didn't we all have an experience like that in middle school?). she said, "charity is really churchy" obviously meant as an insult. i remember thinking to myself - "that's right, i'm churchy! you better believe it!", considering it a compliment.

i am very much an independent thinker, relish considering different ideas about faith and religion, really really value openness, tend to have some (relatively, in the mormon world) liberal beliefs, and believe that truth is everywhere. but yes yes yes, i am churchy! i love god a lot and would absolutely be willing to die defending my faith around his character and his plan for his children on earth.

so, that said, it's going to get pretty churchy up in here on this blog during this week (following that last post about the temple!). if you're not into that, come back after easter :) because this is holy week -- commemorating the single most important event in human history: the atonement of the saviour jesus christ. and i'm going to celebrate and share my celebration.

because through my brain and in my veins and my bones and with all of my heart, i believe this:



happy holy week!

Comments

  1. Charity, when you say you consider other beliefs - does that mean if you came across a set of religious beliefs that proved to be more Biblical and Scriptural than LDS teachings that you would change religions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. maria - sure! if i found something that god undeniably told me was true that was contradictory to the doctrine of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints, i would go with god on that one. but that's very improbable to me, since i have felt numerous, consistent, undeniable answers from god that the doctrine of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints is true :) there is so much truth in so many ideas and religions and philosophies, and i love discovering that and how it enriches my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A month or so ago, I had someone who is very anti-religious call me a "religious zealot" as an insult. I took it as a compliment.
    I also love my Savior, Jesus Christ and am so grateful for His atoning sacrifice. He has always been there for me. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to agree with you that there is truth revealed in so many different religious ideas - i love that so much. i wish more people could truly try and learn about their neighbors, rather than judge. i have learned so much about your faith from your blog, and have been exposed to things that have really made me think and grow in my faith.

    also, i am a teacher at a catholic school and wanted to share our kindergarten "tradition". we read 'benjamin's box", which is a christian book in which the reader sees the events of holy week through the eyes of a little boy. for each major event of holy week, the little boy puts a keepsake in his box. for the kids, we put the items in plastic easter eggs (we call them resurrection eggs). i am so used to hearing the easter scriptures, and for some reason i found the different perspective - through a child's eyes - of holy week was so nice and refreshing.

    ok last thing - sorry this is so long. i have been struggling with my faith, as i know many, many people have (including mother teresa, someone i really look up to). you seem so confident in your faith and i so admire that. do you have any advice or wisdom that you could pass on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been studying the history of Easter and have found that it's based on a pagan practice revolving around the 'goddess of fertility' Ostara or Eostre.
    I love Jesus, but please let's separate pagan holidays from the religion truly preached by Jesus himself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment