got a feeling that you can't fight

it really feels like summer! (even though i have two more weeks of school -- grrr!) a few weeks ago i went to the tim mcgraw concert at shoreline amphitheater. it was my first time at that terrific venue and what's better than hearing big timmy sing "bbq stain" under a summer starlit sky? it was pretty great. last night i went for round two at shoreline to see one republic, and it was one of the most fun nights i've had in a long while.



denise, kayce, christi and i rode our bikes from our neighborhood to the concert. it was the most kind and lovely early summer evening, and we rolled up to the amphitheater right as the opening band was singing that catchy/happy tune "best day of my life." we joined a few more friends in lawn seats on the hill way above the stage and out under the sunsetty sky. one republic was fantastic live, and there were songs i really like that i didn't even realize were one republic songs! they sang these lyrics...and i just felt really happy to be alive in my life.

hope that you fall in love, and it hurts so bad
the only way you can know is give it all you have
and i hope that you don't suffer, but take the pain
hope when the moment comes you'll say...

i, i did it all
i owned every second that this world could give
i saw so many places, the things that I did
yeah, with every broken bone, i swear i lived


everyone in the crowd was hopping and the whole place felt electric. and then the band played a song that i listened to all the time cruising around the streets of san francisco during my period of funemployment in my very favourite city on earth. and i just felt really happy to alive in my life.

sometimes there's airplanes I can't jump out, sometimes there's [stuff] that don't work now 
we all got our stories but please tell me what there is to complain about 
when you're happy like a fool, let it take you over 
when everything is out, you gotta take it in 

oh this has gotta be the good life, this has gotta be the good life 
this could really be a good life, good life 
say oh, got this feeling that you can't fight, like this city is on fire tonight 
this could really be a good life, a good, good life


and then, during the encore, the lead singer sang these words, which kinda put me over the top...

i see skies of blue, and clouds of white. 
the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night. 
and I think to myself, what a wonderful world. 
the colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky. 
are also on the faces, of people going by, 
i see friends shaking hands. saying, "how do you do?" 
they're really saying, "i love you". 
i hear babies cry, i watch them grow, 
they'll learn much more, than I'll ever know. 
and i think to myself, what a wonderful world. 




there's this euphoric content that sometimes shows up in my life as a glimmer in the midst of heaviness. we rode our bikes home in the dark. 

Comments

  1. Awwww Charity good for you,sounds like you had a real feel good night:), love those! My daughter and I LOVE their music especially good life:). I am a teacher too 8 1/2 more days for me YIPPEE! Happy Summer teacher friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the preview! One Republic is coming to Salt Lake this Saturday and, just like you, I'm going with a bunch of my best girlfriends (since young men refuse to spend that much on dates)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Meaningful, well-written, captured the feeling of the night very well. Kickin' the summer off right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby, you are awesome!
    DAD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment